Tuesday, January 17, 2012

January Board Follow-up

I decided I needed to update some information that has come to light since our board meeting. The soccer proposal that was presented to us was presented as having no cost to the school, and I asked during the meeting for sure if this was correct, and was assured it was. With this in mind and with a good showing of support I decided to support the soccer program on a two year trial basis.
I have since found out that the district plans on paying the salary for a head coach.
The committee of soccer supporters that figured out how to fund the soccer program found someone that was willing to volunteer their time and coach for two years for free. What I didn't know was that the district has to offer the coaching job to someone within the school first. As I understand it now, since this is a head coaching job, the district will need to pay the coach.
I remember during some earlier talks, something about the district paying the volunteer coach and the coach would donate the money back to the district, making the program cost neutral. I didn't understand how this all had to be done. I just thought with the latest plan,the person that was volunteering for the job would most likely get the the job and there would be no cost to the district.
I wish this would have been explained at the meeting and I had understood about paying for a head coach. If I had known the cost for the coach I don't think I would have supported starting a soccer program at this time. I hope now since soccer was approved that it will work out okay. If there are problems we will have the ability to end the program after two years.
I felt like I needed to explain what happened since I have said that I thought this was approved on a cost neutral basis. Thank you. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment