Saturday, March 23, 2013

March 21st Cottage Meeting

April and I held a cottage meeting in the high school library Thursday. There were probably about twenty in attendance with some coming late and leaving early.

There was a concern brought up about the area between the high school and seminary building. The students park all over and all different directions. It is a safety hazard with students walking to the seminary building and to get on the buses. Students have come very close to getting hit by speeding cars. We have talked about it as a board and plan on addressing it this summer. We will probably make a bussing lane either in front of the school or to the side with cement barriers. We plan on taking out the trees and putting a barrier across the road coming down I think it's center street, to divert traffic from driving along the east side of the school. The city is going to do major work on this road and we will tie into it somehow.

We talked about the security camera system that was recently updated in the high school. We also talked about the idea of updating and putting in security cameras in both other buildings. I later found out that the cost to do this is estimated to be about $10,000. If we choose to we could pay for this out of our student occupied funds, the same way we funded the bleachers. I think having the added security would be a good idea. The cost of this has come down from what it used to be. Currently wireless Internet is getting installed in the buildings. There is concern with items being stolen from the middle school students.

I mentioned that after looking at the elementary during our walk through that we are going to get a bid to see what the cost would be for weather doorways to be added in the three entrances that don't have them. The wind was blowing that day, blowing in a lot of cold air and the moving back and forth could pinch fingers.

It was suggested that we work on a strategic plan to set priorities. I take the blame for this. Our committee was supposed to go over this but since we haven't had a meeting in a long time we haven't done this yet, but plan too.

There was some discipline concerns brought to us that were talked about at length. I don't feel like its appropriate to discuss it here. There was also some personnel issues brought up that I won't mention either. These type of concerns need to be addressed through proper channels.

There is concerns about how the aides are used in the elementary. When aides are absent they don't have anyone come in and replace them, they just try and move them around the best they can to where they are needed most. When aides are not in the scheduled room to help, it puts a burden on the teachers. I think we need more aides but having more would not be supported by any outside funding. I think this is something we need to talk about during our strategic planning.

There is concern about the dress code and cell phone use. These rules are hard to enforce. It would help if parents would help by making sure their kids are dressed appropriately. Cell phone use in class is a problem that would also help if parents would talk to their kids about using them only at the appropriate time. Some students don't show proper respect for others and their teachers. It's very hard for the school to deal with students that don't show proper respect. These issues need improvement, but parents need to do their part to help.

The school website needs work. The policies are not on the website yet. I think this will be worked on in the near future. Thanks for all who attended. My wife made some good treats you missed by not coming. As a board member I can't solve everyone's problems to their satisfaction, but I will listen and do what I can. I always respond to school emails. Feel free to let me know your concerns. Thanks, Brian

2 comments:

  1. I like the valuable info you provide for your articles.
    I will bookmark your weblog and test again here regularly.

    I'm reasonably certain I will learn plenty of new stuff proper here! Best of luck for the next!

    Feel free to visit my web-site - Spazio-kovan

    ReplyDelete